Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Your Water Is Killing Your Hair

Happy Tuesday!

How are you fabulous ladies doing?


I've been in touch with some of you recently via Instagram and WhatsApp. I love your questions & our dialog, so please keep 'em coming!

This is a follow-up of Grow Your Hair! MAG Starter Pack

Do you moisturize and hours later or the next day your hair is back to being dry and/or rough?


How about some of these other symptoms:
  • - Super dry and rough hair
  • - Hair products that used to work well for you are no longer working
  • - Hair feels heavy
  • - Lack of movement 
  • - Hair styles you did before aren't working well anymore (i.e. twistouts or braidouts)
  • - Rough ends
  • - Dull-looking hair*
  • - Constantly itchy scalp
  • - Excessive number of split ends
  • - Hair gets tangled or matted so easily
  • - Excessive breakage 


*Please note that tightly coiled, Afro hair ("type 4 hair") naturally has a sheen to it. And, boo, if you ain't seeing that sheen, then something's (possibly) up! 


If you answered "yes" to most or all of these questions, you may have hard water damage.


It's a topic that's hard for me to explain without getting overly scientific (I'm a true science geek at heart). But in true MAG fashion, I'll try to keep it simple.

Hard water (verses soft water) has a variety of minerals in it, such as zinc, copper, and limestone. 


The minerals in hard water tend to attach themselves to our hair, and build up in layers and layers over time. The layer of minerals stuck on our hair basically become a barrier between our mane and any hair product we add to our hair. Instead of oils, creams, or conditioners penetrating our tresses or scalp, they'd sit on top of the surface, not doing anything at all! 


Can you imagine? Ugh, one of the worst things ever. When I had hard water damage for the first time (I've had it twice), all I could think of was, you mean to tell me that I've spent good money on these products and simple for them to do small wonder on my hair, they can't do? Nope, hard water damage. E go catch you if you're not careful. 

It's sadly ironic, because water is the single most important ingredient when it comes to growing African hair, whether we are relaxed ("permed"), texturized, or natural.


Here's how to cure hard water damage naturally. I mix: 

  • - 1 part of pure apple cider vinegar
  • - 3 parts of clean, filtered water 


and use it as my final rinse after washing and deep conditioning my hair. This is called an "ACV Rinse." 

Take care and enjoy your day.




No comments:

Post a Comment